Yes, Joe Budden is leaving Spotify. He had an exclusive podcast on the service for two years: but he won’t be signing that contract again.
In almost two hours, which you can watch below, he goes into the detail of what happened, and why. Or, you can read a barely comprehensible machine transcript. Either way, there are invaluable lessons for all podcasters in here**.**
Invaluable lessons to learn
1. If you accept a contract that doesn’t let you take any vacation time, you’re an idiot.
2. If you accept a contract that makes you read advertisements, and then you decide you don’t want to because you’re too precious for that, then you’re an idiot.
3. If you sign a contract that promises you a bonus, then make sure you understand the precise details of how you get that bonus. If you don’t, you’re an idiot.
4. If you don’t understand the difference between your own wage and Bill Simmons selling his successful company to Spotify for lots of money, then you’re an idiot.
5. If you don’t understand that Gimlet came to Spotify with a large number of successful shows with broad appeal, and may have been worth a little more than your own rambling nonsense, then you’re an idiot.
6. If you think the Chief Content Officer of the company cares whether you live in New Jersey or LA, then you’re an egotistical idiot.
7. If the only way you can explain this is to start talking about the economics of a strip club works, then you’re a sleazy idiot.
8. If it takes you two hours of rambling nonsense to make your point, then you’re a terrible podcaster.
The only thing to learn from Joe Budden is not to be an idiot.